Monday, July 10, 2006

The Great Barrier Reef

Today was one of the days that I was most looking forward to. My curriculum project for this trip is going to focus on the Great Barrier Reef, so today was going to be enjoyable and educational. We took a boat out on a two hour ride to Michaelmas Cay to snorkel on the reef. Most of us were nervous about getting sea sick since the surf was supposed to be rough, but pretty much everyone, including myself, was fine. The ride was beautiful. Once we got to the little sand island that is Michaelmas Cay, we took a little boat out to the island and began to snorkel. The thing that amazed me immediately was that there were tons of giant clams right off of the shore. Reefs were everywhere around and it was amazing to see so many different corals and fish. I went snorkeling three times with lunch in the middle before it was time to take a two hour ride back over the choppy seas. The picture below is of me just before we pushed off from the port to head to Michaelmas Cay. The second and third are both of giant clams and assorted corals in the reefs at Michaelmas Cay.

8 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your clothes don't really match in the picture.What was you favorite part of the day?

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Abby's comment about your mismatched clothes! I was noticing your white legs!! Snorkling is awesome. Did they give you the lecture about NOT touching or removing anything? Love, Aunt Nancy

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Mark Heiden said...

Dr. Reichanadter: I'll be sure to share the curriculum project once it is reayd in October. And, no, no souvenirs from the reef...they frown upon that!

Abby: Thanks for the fashion advice....I didn't have my full wardrobe at my disposal!

Heather: I hope the underwater pictures come out OK. They are never as good as the eye sees because it was a cheap, disposable camera.

Aunt Nancy: My legs are still very white because of the lack of time this summer on the tennis court. And, yes, we had quite a lecture on not touching the reef.

 
At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

However, the outrigger shirt looks fantastic

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That outfit is awesome...where can I buy that stuff?

 
At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Greg P.
Land's End!!

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Mark Heiden said...

Yes, CTB....the Outrigger was back, but now it is done for the trip until I can wash the salt out of it.

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Mark Heiden said...

Greg: You need one for your upcoming cruise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home