Saturday, July 08, 2006

A Didgeridoo

A while after the stop at the Cathedral termite mounds, we pulled-up to The Didgeridoo Hut & Art Gallery. Several Fulbrighters on the trip wanted to purchase a didgeridoo, a traditional Aboriginal instrument made with a termite hollowed-out tree trunk. The sound is a very low vibrating that sounds very Australian. I was interested in buying one, but not particularly interested in hauling it back half-way across the world with me. However, I found one that I liked a lot because it had the right colors and it had Namarrgon, the Lightning Man on it (see previous post for more info). So, I bought it and had it shipped back to me in Indiana to arrive in late July. I also bought a bag for it, an instructional booklet, and another piece of artwork that had Namarrgon, the Lightning Man on it. I will be very excited to see my purchases in a couple of weeks.

6 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool! What colors?

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool! What colors?

 
At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops I accidentally pressed the button twice

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool. We love the didgeridoo. We see the same man every year playing on the boardwalk in Ocean City, MD. He has a timer running next to him showing how long he is playing with the same breath without stopping, using the circular breathing. We have been there when he is well over 30 minutes. I expect you to be able to do that as a demonstration in class in the fall.

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Mark Heiden said...

I am trying to remember exactly what it looks like Lexi. I think it had yellow, red, and black as its main colors, along with the painting of the Lightning Man.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Mark Heiden said...

I agree with you about the sound....I really like it as well. I don't think I will be able to do the circular breathing, but I do hope to learn how to play it. And, if I do, then I will demonstrate it for the class.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home